Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, I am sharing my favorite low carb take on tacos with this super easy Cheese Steak Taco Crockpot recipe…
Just because you are getting in shape for bikini season doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate Cinco de Mayo with some tasty Mexican fare.
In fact, I have managed to lose over twenty pounds eating tacos every…single…freakin’…day, ya’ll! To read about my recent weight loss, you can click here.( I’ve actually continued to lose even more weight since that post!)
So how do I manage to eat tacos for lunch everyday and still get lean?
Well aside from working out five times a week and keeping my hormones at optimal levels for weight loss, I manipulate my carb intake.
While I do eat carbs, I am very strategic about when I eat them.
To keep my body , and ultimately my metabolism always guessing, I alternate between lower carb days and higher carb days(higher carbs specifically for my more strenuous exercise days) .
Given there are many great low-carb flour tortillas now on the market (gone are the cardboard diet food days), tacos are actually my favorite low carb/high protein meal.
The Best Low Carb Tortillas
My favorite low-carb tortillas (pictured below) are Aldi’s Fit and Active Low Carb Tortillas or Mission’s Carb Balance Flour Tortillas…
Not only do both brands taste and feel just like the real thing, both brands only have 4 grams of net carbs per tortilla.
Tortillas aside, what I particularly love about this recipe is that it is easy AF ( basically dump and go).
To minimize prep work, I buy about a pound and a half of pre-cut, lean stew meat, but you can also use cut flank steak, top round or even sirloin tip. (I am just too damn lazy to cut my own meat into cubes).
You can then add whatever peppers and onions you desire. I stick with bell peppers, onion and jalapeños.
Every Sunday, I prep this meal in the crockpot and then reheat it for my lunch through out the entire week.
After letting the steak simmer in the crockpot all day, it basically melts in your mouth when it’s time to eat.
Here is how I cook my Low Carb Cheese Steak Tacos in the crockpot…
Low Carb Cheese Steak Tacos Ingredients:
- 1.5 to 2 lbs grassfed lean stew meat (or cut flank steak, top round or sirloin tip)
- Diced Onion
- Diced Green Bellpepper
- Diced Jalapeño (optional)
- 1 cup Beef Bone Broth
- 1 Pack Au Jus Gravy Mix
- Low- Carb Flour Tortillas (either Aldi’s Fit and Active Low Carb Tortillas or Mission’s Carb Balance Flour Tortillas)
- organic shredded cheese (I use Aldi’s Mexican blend)
How to make cheese steak tacos:
- Dice all of your desired peppers and onions. If you don’t have pre-cut meat to work with, cube your steak into bite size pieces.
- Spray your crockpot with some olive oil so the steak doesn’t stick to the pot.
Place cubed meat, peppers and onions in crock pot.
3. Pour the pack of Au Jus gravy mix over all ingredients. Pour 1 cup of beef bone broth over all ingredients, and stir.
4. Ideally I would recommend cooking on low setting for 8 hours, but I am always short on time so I cook mine on high setting for 6 hours.
5. Once steak is cooked and tender, heat tortillas. Then top with your choice of organic cheese, hot sauce or avocado.
TIP: If you love sodium like I do, you may add a half a pack of brown gravy to this recipe (when adding all of the other ingredients). Then again, I am that person who adds salt to her Ramen so…. Yes, I know that sounds horribly unhealthy to a normal person, but I am salt addict!
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I do. For me, steak has been a really nice change of pace as I was getting super burnt out on chicken and ground beef.
Wishing all of you a happy Cinco De Mayo! Now get out there and design some good vibes along with a fabulous life.
PS. It would mean so much to this small business, if you could share this post with a friend or on social media. Thank you!